Friday, June 28, 2013

Great Plains Region

Well, I'm a not sure where to start... OK! .
On Thursday the 20th, Dave meet his sister Christy in Cutbank, MT to pick up our nephew Joe. It's about half way. And that night was a birthday party for a lady who attends our local church. Anyhow... When Dave got to town he decided to stop by, since I was there. At the party Paul Alexander asked , if Dave was going with us to convention/camp the next day. Dave said, "No, I can't take that much time off" And Paul said. "Well, Grace and I are only staying for convention since I have to work Monday, we can bring you home" Dave was like "OK!, I'll see what I can do" I just sat quite and prayed and PRAYED! ;) Well, he was able to work it out with work and got the  days off! I was SO, SO happy.

Convention was great. It was nice to meet the people and feel like I have known them forever. That's really how it felt! I was blown away...!! We got there late Friday night. Slept and headed to the church for breakfast and convention. I was asked to clerk!! I had never done that before. But I really enjoyed it. I even did it for the business meeting there. Oh, and Brother Thompson's message. That was great. I miss hearing him. When I shook his hand I reminded him of my maiden name and told him I was a little girl in Springs when he was in Pueblo. His eyes got big, "OH! you were a little girl when I was in Pueblo. I feel old!" ;)
 So, Sunday after lunch Dave left with Paul and Grace. The rest of us Havre crew went on to camp. OH! And we got to stay at the beautiful lodge where they have camp, during convention. That was a HUGE blessing. Stephen Wantulok was the speaker and his parents did the music at night and some of the classes in the day. I only got to sit in on one adult class when I was there. And Bro. Kirby taught it,  I enjoyed it very much. Sis. Nancy and I taught the preschool class, and of course that was fun! :D When I was not teaching or with the teenage girls in my room , I was in the kitchen. SO, fun. I enjoy working the camp kitchen. Sis. Bacon from Minnesota. is awesome. I love her and her name is perfect for a camp cook ;) Her husband is also a hard worker in the kitchen and VERY funny. Speaking of Minnesota, I met the Thompsons from there. What a cool family. I met Mitzy years ago... But it was great to see her and her family. The kids had a blast! And enjoyed the alter. That always makes a mom feel good. The twins and our nephew Joe were in the alter a lot! And Beth too. There are about 6 kids from the area that always come to our camp, but they don't have parents who attend church. 2 of the teenage girls have been texting me and talking to me on Facebook. I want to be a blessing to them, it's a ruff go out there without family to help. Okay, I guess that's the long and the short of it ;) I feel SO blessed to have been there!

5 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

I'm SO GLAD you got to go to Convention AND Camp! And I'm so happy Dave got to go to Convention. The folks in that Region truly have the "pioneer" spirit. I love them all! We went to Convention out there about 3 years ago, maybe 4. We've never been to Camp, but we've seen TONS of pictures.
I'll be cooking for TN Camp this coming week. Wanna come help? :-) I'll have Brother and Sister Anders helping me in the kitchen, and Bryon Goodman. We'll be cooking for about 100. Bryon helped me last year. He's great in the kitchen and we had a lot of fun mixed in with the hard work. ;-)
I'm so happy for your kids to get to spend time in the altar. You've helped them make significant deposits in their Memory Bank that will pay dividends for many years to come. :-)

Dave and Melissa said...

Sis. Smith, I would LOVE to help cook at a camp that big.. WOW! Ours was like 40-45 people.. That would be a BIG job. God bless you. It would feel like a family reunion with all those old Colorado people. ;)

Anonymous said...

So glad to see you posted Melissa!
And hear (via ph AND blog!) that
Convention and camp were wonderful!
And the testimony of Dave getting to go...!! & the beautiful alter services...
can't wait to hear more soon~
Luv ya, mu

Dave and Melissa said...

:D You make me laugh Alaena!
Love you Mom!!

EmileeAnn said...

Sounds like a great trip, Melissa! So glad you and the kids got to enjoy camp so much. I love to help in the kitchen when I can too.